Streetscape Coordinator –Independent Contractor
The Stamford Downtown Special Services District (DSSD) is a highly visible, community-oriented, non-profit Business Improvement District responsible for creating, managing and promoting a quality environment for people, which enhances the economic vitality of Stamford Downtown. We are seeking a high-energy individual to serve as Streetscape Coordinator who will plan, procure, implement and maintain significant horticultural projects throughout Stamford Downtown. The Streetscape Coordinator will report to the Stamford Downtown President and Vice President of Operations.
The current Streetscape Program includes spring preparation, up to 3 seasonal plantings, watering, fertilization, weeding, pruning and fall cleanup and planter winter décor. The Program involves some 18 garden areas along sidewalks and within 4 downtown parks, 37 concrete street planters and 186 hanging flower baskets.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
· Prepare in advance a highly detailed yearlong vision, timeline and work plan
· Create and administer an annual budget for labor and materials
· Plan and coordinate annual labor requirements and pre-order all materials with sufficient lead time for punctual implementation.
· Motivate and manage volunteers, contractors and vendors to implement the program
· Direct and supervise personnel involved in the daily maintenance of the program and establish work goals and performance standards.
· Provide expertise and quality control related to the program
· Inspect and approve contract work in progress and upon completion to ensure compliance with program requirements
· Communicate and coordinate efforts with City of Stamford Parks Department
· Perform some field work in concert with volunteers and employees
· Facilitate planter holiday décor program
· Significant gardening and horticulture background. Degree or certification preferred but not required
· Documented landscape design abilities
· Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to deliver projects on time with an attention to detail
· Understanding of the challenges of urban vs home gardening
· Ability to identify issues and adapt programs accordingly
· Ability to establish positive and productive relationships with volunteers, employees and stakeholders.
· Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
· Competency in commonly used computer programs and operating systems (specifically Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
· Hold a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle capable of small pickups and deliveries. Vehicle expenses will be reimbursed.
· Approximately 400 hours annually. Project demands are heaviest in winter and spring.
· Up to $45/hour depending upon qualifications and experience.
This job description is illustrative of what the position entails.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation.
If you have questions about the position you may contact:
John Ruotolo, email@example.com
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation to Cheryl at
Label each e-mail attachment with your first and last name. .pdf format is preferred. #stamforddowntown