Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chez Jean Pierre- oui,oui

Stamford Downtown Special Services held their annual fundraiser last night called A Grand Summer Night. This is where the downtown raises money to buy those great sculptures that permanently reside in the city. With the J.Seward Johnson exhibit leaving in a couple weeks, we will surely miss this summer's display. This has been my favorite exhibit yet. The "statues" have made me do a double take more than once on occasion, and I know where each one is!

With over 300 people in attendance, the Grand Summer Night event was quite a success. Starting with cocktails and appetizers, held at UConn, the crowd mingled over many items donated to the silent auction, and friendly raffle sellers. The silent auction was full of many different offerings. I picked a few doggie items, and my husband, some baseball stuff. But, that's only one of the fun times of the evening. Going to dinner was my second. Part of the evening included picking a restaurant to dine at after the silent auction closed and raffle winners had been chosen. I chose Chez Jean Pierre to dine. This French restaurant is cozy and inviting. The front opens to the street where you can check out the passersby, feel the summer breeze or gaze at the Tigin crowd across the street.

Being the only French place in downtown makes it quite special. When asked for my selection by the waitress, I had to point to the menu items (as I do not dare attempt to disrespect the language--especially not in front of a French person )

The food was French, the atmosphere not so much. Except for the Monet Mural on the wall, the dim lighting, and the "Frenchness" of the menu, I could have been anywhere. I suppose I had different expectations since I thought I was going "French". I guess I had expected french music? Maybe because instead there was a small live band playing jazzy music in cozy little back room next to the bar (which was filled with more people). It was nice nonetheless. Just not ultra French. I was quite pleased that the food was outstanding, but moreover that now I discovered another cool place to hang out and hear live music. Yes, yes, I will return.

No comments:

Find our Advertisers in the annual Stamford Downtown Directory

2019-2020 GUIDE

Check out these special menus from Stamford Tables

Parking in Stamford Downtown

Stamford Downtown Demographics

Stamford Downtown Signal Box Brochure

Stamford Downtown Event info

Check out our full Calendar for more events - click here
Sign up for email blasts - click here